While the exact cause of eczema is unknown, researchers have found that people who develop eczema do so because of a combination of genes and environmental triggers.
When an irritant or an allergen from outside or inside the body 'switches on' the immune system, it produces inflammation. It is this inflammation that causes the itch symptoms common to most types of eczema.
Here are some handy tips to help manage itchy skin:
- Understand and avoid your itch triggers
- Apply a cold compress
- Apply a moisturising relief cream after bathing or showering
- Wear soft, breathable, natural clothing next to your skin
- Avoid sitting on grass, plastic chairs, or rough carpet and upholstery with bare legs
- Avoid potential skin irritating detergents when washing your clothes or cleaning
- Pinch and pat the itchy skin (rather than scratching)